Re: Data handling in mathematica 2.2 and 3.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5691] Re: [mg5662] Data handling in mathematica 2.2 and 3.0
  • From: buttgereit at t-online.de (Peter Buttgereit)
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 14:28:58 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

sean ross wrote:

>   How can I get mathematica to read in a text data file without
> first having to massage the data in a text editor?  Take your
> typical multi-column data from an excel-type spreadsheet.  If I
> save it as text, the ReadList function assumes I want to
> multiply all numbers together than appear on the same line.  If
> I save it as comma delimited, ReadList says it is a syntax
> error.  I have tried manipulating the RecordSeparator and
> WordSeparator options in  ReadList, but no success.
>   My current wordaround is to take the data file, read it into
> excel and save it as comma delimited text, then import it into
> word, and do a global replace on all return characters
> converting them into commas, placing a { } around the list,
> saving it as unformatted text.  Then ReadList can read the data
> and I can Partition it.  I hope there is a more elegant
> solution.
>   P.S. Has anybody been able to figure out how to read in
> bitmap data like in the cat picture in the 3.0 "tour of
> mathematica"?  Any time I try to read in .bmp files, it just
> generates garbage.  Not quite as "mathematica reads in data in
> any format" advertised.

Hi Sean,
in V. 2.2.1 you can read in your

1   2    3
3   4    5
5   54   32

files with ReadList["filename",Number,RecordLists->True].
"Should work" with V.3.0 ...
For "tricks" see Tom Wickham-Jones "Mathematica Graphics" (New York:
Springer, 1994) pp. 54. He deals with importing bitmaps, too.
Greetings,
Peter