Re: recovering from forgetfulness

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7779] Re: [mg7759] recovering from forgetfulness
  • From: Richard Gass <gass at physics.uc.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 22:40:58 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Michael wrote
>Is there a way in Mathematica to recover from forgetting to include a
>package?  For example, I type:
>
>ImplicitPlot[x^2+y^2==1,{x,-1,1}]
>
>and Mathematica returns the same thing back.  So I go, "Ooops, I forgot
>to load a package."  So I type:
>
><<Graphics`ImplicitPlot`
>
>but instead of being all nice and good this gives me errors like:
>
>Set::write:Tag ImplicitPlot in Options[ImplicitPlot] is Protected.
>
>Clear[ImplicitPlot] does not help.  Even after trying to load
>ImplicitPlot, I am still stuck with an expression that just evaluates to
>itself.
>
>Is there any way to reset Mathematica without quitting even the kernel?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Michael
>michael at qni.com

Michael,
You can use Remove. Try
Remove[ImplicitPlot]
This will remove the symbol in the global context and will fix the
shadowing probelms.
Make sure that you do not run Remove twice on the same symbol or you will
remove it both contexts and this is hard to recover from.

Richard Gass
Department of Physics
University of Cincinnati
Cincinnati, OH 45221