Combining graphics objects

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7727] Combining graphics objects
  • From: "Joel Bock" <jbock at inetworld.net>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 14:21:51 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello Mathematica Addicts:

I'm trying to do something ostensibly very simple in Mathematica 3.0.
I want to create a scatterplot with different symbols representing various
quantities of interest.  On top of this, I'd like to overlay some straight
lines indicating boundaries delimiting regions of 2D space with distinct
probabilities of occurrence.  I have tried to combine "MultipleListPlot"
with "Line" graphics primitives, with no success.  For example:

line1 = Line[{0,1.75},{4.667,0}];

plt1 = MultipleListPlot[y1,y2,y3,
	Frame->True,
	FrameLabel->{"ylabel","xlabel"},
	AxesOrigin->{0,0},
	PlotRange->{0,2.5},
	PlotLabel->"label",
            SymbolShape->{PlotSymbol[Box],PlotSymbol[Triangle],PlotSymbol[Di
amond]},
	TextStyle->{FontFamily->"Helvetica",
	FontSize->10}
];

Show[plt1,line1];

I'm getting an error after the "Show" call that says
Show::"gcomb":
    "An error was encountered in combining the graphics objects in
Show[-Graphics-, Line[{x1,y1},{x2,y2}}]"

Can anyone help decipher this problem?  Thanks!!