Re: Just another bug in MMA 3.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7583] Re: [mg7431] Just another bug in MMA 3.0
  • From: richard at seuss.math.wright.edu (Richard Mercer)
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 03:13:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In <5nb2rs$slj at smc.vnet.net> Kai Koehler wrote:

> E.g. what do you think about the following quite serious bug, which I
> mailed Wolfram support on april 4th:
>
> Sum[Sum[Log[Log[k+j]],{k,1,n}],{j,1,5}]
>
> gives
>
> 5*Sum[Log[Log[k + j]], {k, 1, n}].
>
> Many other people verified this bug on various machines.
>
> Thanks for the reply
>
> Kai Koehler

Yeah, that's a bug alright. It's probably worth noting that

Sum[Log[Log[k+j]],{k,1,n},{j,1,5}]

works just fine, and that's the way the Sum command is probably "intended" to
be used.
It would be interesting to check whether Table, Product, Integrate, and other
commands using multiple iterators have this same problem, or whether it's
unique to Sum.
--
Richard Mercer
richard at seuss.math.wright.edu
"I meant what I said and I said what I meant,
An elephant's faithful, one hundred per cent."