Ellipsoid in Mma

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7470] Ellipsoid in Mma
  • From: "John K.C. Lewis" <court at kelvin.physics.mun.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 01:35:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In using the linear regression standard package, one finds that
as an option, Regress will give the confidence ellipsoid for fitted
parameters. However, "Ellipsoid" is not well documented; in fact, a
two-dimensional confidence ellipse is mentioned but no more than that.
"Ellipsoid" is apparently recognized as a graphics primitive by Graphics
but not by Graphics 3D. What does one do with the information contained
in "Ellipsoid"? There are
several different methods to parametrize an ellipsoid, and I can't find
any indication of which one is used. I have looked in the Mathematica
3.0 book, the online help for Mma 3.0, and in the "Guide to Standard
Mathematica Packages Version 2.2".

My thanks if you can assist; my apologies if I've overlooked something
obvious.

John K.C. Lewis
Department of Physics & Physical Oceanography
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NF
Canada A1B 3X7.

FAX: (709) 737-8739