Re: Algebra Problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7649] Re: [mg7624] Algebra Problem
  • From: Richard Finley <trfin at fiona.umsmed.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 03:36:13 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Robert,

You hit the nail on the head for the cause of the problem...(-1)^(1/3) has
three solutions only one of which is real and solves your equation, so Mma
cannot assume which one you want.  If you first load:

<<Miscellaneous`RealOnly`

and then look at your equation

-9 + 9 (-1)^(1/3) + 18 (-1)^(2/3)

Mma will now simplify correctly to 0, which shows it is the solution you
want. In addition, if you insert (-1)^(1/3) it will simplify it to -1 since
it can now ignore the complex solutions.  The problem is, if you do your
original Solve[ ... ] you still only get the first solution.  A better way
to proceed is to recognize from the beginning that your equation is simply a
quadratic equation (in the variable x^(1/3) ) so there must be 2 solutions,
substitute /. x -> u^3, Solve the resulting equation for u (which gives the
solutions { u -> -3 }, { u -> 3/2 }, and then simply cube the results to get
your x = -27,  27/8.

Hope that helps...
RF