Increasing indentation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7498] Increasing indentation
  • From: "C. Woll" <carlw at u.washington.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 03:48:19 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Stu Schaffner wrote:

> Does anybody know how to make the indentation produced by the new editor
> be bigger?  The old form, using "\t", produced an indentation several
> characters wide.  The new indentation seems to be about 1.5 characters
> wide.

Hi Stu,

I assume that you want to change the amount of indentation while using
StandardForm as the DefaultInputForm (note that you can always use
InputForm as the DefaultInputForm and get the usual behavior for
indentation). I seem to recall that somebody in this newsgroup came up
with a way to change the amount of indentation a while ago, but I don't
remember what he proposed. So let me give you a perhaps different method
to accomplish what you want.

Start by using \[IndentingNewLine] instead of Return. The alias for
\[IndentingNewLine] is [escape] n l [escape], which is a bit cumbersome.
Perhaps there is a way to get Mma to interpret Return as
\[IndentingNewLine] while in an Input Cell, but I'll let somebody else
answer that question. The other ingredient is to change the setting for
the option LineIndent. To do this, select an input cell, go to the Option
Inspector, and change the scope to selection's style. Then choose

Formatting Options -> Expression Formatting -> Linebreaking Options

At this point, the option LineIndent should appear. The option will
probably have the setting 1. Change it to something more to you liking and
see what happens.

As an aside, I thought this option would change the behavior of both
Return and \[IndentingNewLine], but that doesn't seem to be the case. I
don't know what option changes the autoindenting behavior of Return.

Good luck,
Carl