Saving edited packages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6261] Saving edited packages
  • From: lompado at liger.uah.edu
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 01:29:21 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm having trouble saving a package after I edit it using version 3.0
(on a Windows '95 machine).  It appears that every time I save the
package, the entire body of the package gets commented out (i.e.,  (*
--body of package--*) ) and subsequent attempts at loading the newly
saved package are unsuccessful. The error message says that the
"Context MyPackage` was not created when Needs was evaluated" where
MyPackage  is the name of the package.   When I use $Packages to check
my contexts, the package is not in the context list.
I have been trying to save the newly edited package using the "Save as
Special - Package Format" command in the file menu.  Simply using
"Save" in the file menu saves the package as a notebook.  I can't find
any references in the Mathematica book regarding the correct way to
save an edited package (or a new package for that matter).
Incidentally, once the package has been modified, I try to save it
with the same name as the original.  Mathematica seems to be happy
with that though and simply queries as to whether I want to overwrite
the old one.  The packages (both old and new) reside in the
.\Add-Ons\Applications directory and this directory is indicated in
the $Path command when I run it.  Finally, prior to editing (which
entails modifying a couple of functions) the old package loads
properly.
 Am I missing something here?  Has anyone run into this problem or do
you know of a reference that teaches one how to properly (re)save
packages?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Regards,
Artie
University of Alabama in Huntsville
Physics Department