Re: plasma simulation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6411] Re: plasma simulation
  • From: andrei at atomic2.phys.nd.edu (Andrei Derevianko)
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 22:16:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Just a couple of words about mmka   vs. regular language (C,Fortran) versions.
1. Mmka could be used to try to find analytical solutions to your
   problem.
2. Suppose the general  solution does not exist, then you have to do it
    numerically.
    1. Mmka will be slower (way to slower) to do complicated numerical
        calculations vs regular language, it might be just unbearable to use
        mmka. ( the invaluable strength of mmka _is_ in symbolic computations)
    2.  I am sure there are some effective algorithms for your problem.
        The Mmka  will probably use something more general  => loss of
        efficiency. If you decide to implement the faster algorithms, then
        there is no advantage in your time and debuging spent with Mmka
        vs regular language. (I actually think that  the use of Mmka
        structures is more cumbersome for debuging ).
   3. If you go numerical with mmka, you'd better use CompiledFunctions.
3. The mmka is a great tool for analisys of the data obtained.

Sorry, nothing specific for your problem,
        Andrei.