What is the funny-looking "i" in the palette?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6539] What is the funny-looking "i" in the palette?
  • From: robpeterson at sprintmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 23:01:38 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Now that I've found the palette, I wonder what some of the symbols in
it mean.  Since there is vanishingly small info on the notebook
interface (in 3.0), I spent quite a bit of time looking thru the help
files and the book but found no clues what this funny i is (it has two
vertical bars, not one plus a dot).

At first, I thought it meant Root[-1] but only capital I works for
that, I tried it.

Any clues would be appreciated.