Math license manager problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7022] Math license manager problem
  • From: Michael Giddings <giddings at whitewater.chem.wisc.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 21:30:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

A problem I've had with Mathematica 3.0 under NS/Intel running with a
network license is this: when the notebook or kernel dies (which it does a
bit too often for my tastes), the license manager (mathlm) on the host
machine doesn't register the fact that there is no longer a Mathematica
process running on the network under this license.  This means I cannot run
Mathematica or start a new kernel until I quit everything, log into the
license server machine, su to root, kill the mathlm process and restart it.

Needless to say that's a bit painful, and for someone who doesn't have root
priveleges could be a major obstacle.

Are there any solutions to this problem?  I sent mail to Wolfram tech
support but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks

---
Michael Giddings