Re: the Union of real numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7029] Re: the Union of real numbers
  • From: adams (Adam Strzebonski)
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 21:30:54 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

SameTest option allows to specify a function to be used by Union
to decide which elements should be considered equal:

In[1]:= N[{Pi, Pi+10^-10, Pi-10^-10}]

Out[1]= {3.14159, 3.14159, 3.14159}

In[2]:= Union[%]

Out[2]= {3.14159, 3.14159, 3.14159}

In[3]:= t = If[NumericQ[#1] && NumericQ[#2],
        Abs[N[#1 - #2]] < 10^-6,

In[4]:= Union[%1, SameTest->t]

Out[4]= {3.14159}

Adam Strzebonski