Re: Help ! complex permutations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7054] Re: [mg6965] Help ! complex permutations
  • From: Robert Pratt <rpratt at math.unc.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 22:04:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I believe the command to use in Mma 2.2.2 was Strings, which now appears to
have been relegated to the Combinatorica standard package in Mma 3.0.

Needs["DiscreteMath`Combinatorica`"]

?Strings
"Strings[l, n] constructs all possible strings of length n from the
elements of list l."

Strings[{a,b},2]

Strings[{a,b},3]
{{a,a,a},{a,a,b},{a,b,a},{a,b,b},{b,a,a},{b,a,b},{b,b,a},{b,b,b}}

Rob Pratt
Department of Mathematics
CB# 3250, 331 Phillips Hall
Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3250