Re: Integrate[ ] returns If[ ] function; how to say it's True?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9406] Re: [mg9359] Integrate[ ] returns If[ ] function; how to say it's True?
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 01:56:26 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

AES wrote:

> Doing an Integrate[ ] returns an If[condition,a,b] result, with
> complicated expressions for condition, a, and b.
>
> I want to get B as input for the next cell (automatically, not by just
> copying it by hand).
>
> How can I get at the "parts" of the If[ ] statement, or use it in a
> subsequent Input[ ] cell with condition set equal to True?

To get the second element from the If[...] result, one can simply use
Part to extract it:

In[23]:= ee = If[a,b,c]
Out[23]= If[a, b, c]

In[24]:= ee[[2]]
Out[24]= b

One can force Integrate to avoid generation of conditions as below.
Caveat: you may get a result that is only valid for conditions other
than those you have in mind.

In[25]:= Integrate[Cos[a*t^2], {t,-Infinity,Infinity}]
                           Sqrt[Pi]
Out[25]= If[Im[a] == 0, ---------------,
                                  2 1/4
                        Sqrt[2] (a )
                      2
>    Integrate[Cos[a t ], {t, -Infinity, Infinity}]]

In[26]:=  Integrate[Cos[a*t^2], {t,-Infinity,Infinity},
GenerateConditions->False]
            Sqrt[Pi]
                   2 1/4
         Sqrt[2] (a )