Re: Possibly Silly Question on Manipulating Statistical Distributions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9416] Re: Possibly Silly Question on Manipulating Statistical Distributions
  • From: NOHAMcrose at c2.telstra-mm.net.au (Colin Rose)
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 01:56:33 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

 Luci Ellis <elisha at dot.net.au> wrote:

  > I would like to plot the PDFs and CDFs of random variables, where
said
  > r.v.'s are combinations of other random variables with known,
standard
  > distributions.
  > Defining a distribution like:
  >
  > xdist = PoissonDistribution[10]
  > ydist = NormalDistribution[0,1]
  > zdist = NormalDistribution[0,2]
  >
  > Then:
  > wdist = ydist + zdist
  > udist = xdist * ydist
  >
  > return: PoissonDistribution[10]*NormalDistribution[0,1] or
  >         NormalDistribution[0,1]+NormalDistribution[0,2] as expected.
  > But good luck trying to plot these beasties' PDFs.
  >
  > I know you can't just add the PDFs or anything crazy like that. Is
there
  > a way to get these distributions without doing multiple samples from
  > the distribution and building it up empirically?

Section 16.3 of "Varian (1996), Computational Economics and Finance with
mathematica", Springer, provides a Transform[] fn for doing
transformations of pdfs. Of course, it won't help you multiply a
discrete density (Poisson) by a continuous one (normal), but it should
otherwise prove helpful.

Cheerio

Colin

--