variable problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9512] variable problems
  • From: Manolis Tousis <mtousis at rodopi.cc.duth.gr>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 23:04:40 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,
I am I wrote a package on mathematica for strain computations  and
diagrams in mechanics but I have a problem.

Does anyone know how can I modify the value of a parameter  of a
function inside the declaration of the function? Here is an example:

f[x_,y_]:=Module[
{a1,a2,a3},
a1=x+y;
x=1;  <------- this line causes an error message  ];

Note that I could use a local variable a1 for this putting a line
a1=x;a1=1;  but because of the complexity  of the source code i wrote ,
it's not possible to rewrite  every line of code.

Thanks you..

If it is possible send me this answer to my email: mtousis at rodopi.cc.du

Manolis Toussis
Student of the Civil Engineer Department of Democritus University Of
Thrace.