Re: cubic splines

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9511] Re: [mg9462] cubic splines
  • From: David Withoff <withoff>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 23:04:39 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> I have a question about cubic splines. Does the mathematica 3.0 function
> Interpolate[] use them? I also find the function splinefit[] in the
> package Numericalmath, Would somebody be able to tell me how this
> function works and what exactly the out put from this function,when you
> use it,means? Does anybody now of any sites that a have a good
> collection of 3.0 notebooks other then wolfram? I am really interested
> in mining or rock mechanics based notebooks.
>
> Troy

According to Appendix A.9 of the Mathematica book, Interpolation uses
divided differences (not cubic splines).  For the SplineFit function,
if you really want to know exactly how this function works you might
consider looking at the source code in the NumericalMath`SplineFit`
package.  I'm not sure if that is the level of detail that you want.

Dave Withoff
Wolfram Research