Re: Lie symmetry package in mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9486] Re: Lie symmetry package in mathematica
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 23:04:20 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Lucian Anton wrote:

> Could someone tell me if the there is any free package for Lie symmetry
> of the partial differential equations?

A search on MathSource <http://www.mathsource.com/> for Lie AND symmetry
finds

Lie Symmetries
        The purpose of this program is to derive the determining
equations for
        Lie-point symmetries. The determining equations are derived in a
form
        simplified as far as possible. The program allows an automatic
solution
        of the determining equations by using a polynomial ansatz in the
        dependent and independent variables. If the infinitesimals
(symmetries)
        of the symmetry transformation is known, a classification of the
related
        Lie-algebra is possible. The Lie-algebra is directly related to
the
        symmetry group of the equations that can be used to construct an
        explicit solution of the equations of motion considered. Lie's
symmetry
        method is usable to construct solutions for linear and
especially for
        nonlinear systems of differential equations. The program also
provides a
        classification of the Lie-algebra by derived algebras.

Cheers,
	Paul

The University of Western Australia            Nedlands WA  6907
mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au  AUSTRALIA
http://www.pd.uwa.edu.au/~paul

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player