Re: Re: Book recommendation for

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9539] Re: [mg9498] Re: Book recommendation for
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 01:40:04 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Sergio Rojas wrote:

> Ersek_Ted%PAX1A at mr.nawcad.navy.mil wrote:
>
> : |Even though one may find
> : |a lot of references about Mathematica, few of them are really useful,
> : |and the end result is that the program is still poorly documented, |
> : Yes, it bugs me that there is virtually no documentation for the menu
> : command in Version 3.0.
> : But the Mathematica Book (3rd edition) is 1400 pages, and documents the
> : Kernal features very well.
>
>      I still do not get what is it that makes the thick Mathematica 3.0
> book a well documented reference.  In my understanding, a well
> organized documentation for something  will allow the user to find what
> is needed  without need of going to a THOROUGHLY review of the
> documentation.  Moreover, it usually happen that while browsing a well
> written documentation set, looking for a particular subject, one finds
> information about others  things that are not of need for that moment,
> but will be so later on. This,  in my view, is not the case of the
> thick Mathematica book, and it can be  illustrated in the process of
> creating an acceptable 2-D plot ready to be  included in a document.
>
>     Let's say there is a file containing 3 columns of data and the idea
> is to plot , to make it simple, columns 2 and 3 versus column one
> separately. A QUICK look at the book only shows plot of functions, so
> one goes to the index. In the way one take notes of pages 133, 492, and
> 1042 for AxesLabel and some other things that may be needed to complete
> the goal. However, one finds NOTHING close to "plot of data". But, a
> somewhat "special" intuition  let the initiated suspect that ListPlot
> is what is  needed, so the user goes to page 157, and there it is !!!
> section 1.9.9  "Plotting List of Data". The initiated find that the
> example on page at the beginning of page 159 is more or less fine
> (except for the labels), and goes to section 1.11.3 in order to read
> the data file.  After reading section  1.11.3, no way to put the data
> in the form given on page 159, so the initiated go to section 2.11.7,
> but to find out that still it is NOT SHOW how to read a file with 3
> columns and set up the data in a way allowing the plotting of columns 2
> and 3 versus column one. The end result is that the great thick book is
> put to a side, and some other books need to be looked at to find what
> is needed.
>
>      Other things to look at are: How many plots, in the great book,
> shows  the plotting of error bars? How many of them shows how to label
> the plots using long or sort labels?  How many ...
>
> Sergio

I think you are missing the difference between a good reference, a good
textbook and a good tutorial.  The mathematica book is, in my opinion,
a good reference, with a few mediocre tutorials.  It is a lousy
textbook.  The things you describe, like how to plot specific kinds of
data or certain formats are the function of a textbook or tutorial, not
a reference.  As an example, suppose a certain book was billed as a
good C++ reference.  Would you expect it to tell you how to write a
program to read in certain formats of data and format them on the
screen with error bars?  Certainly not, for a C++ reference, you would
expect to find a detailed description of every command available to you
in the language.  You would need to turn to a textbook on C++ graphics
to learn how to make a pretty graph.  Mathematica is no different-it is
a programming language, not a program. A final note:  I called the
mathematica book a good reference, not a great one.  To be a great one,
they would need to include a list of ALL available options for ALL
built-in objects.  There are too many objects that only have listings
of the default options, not a listing of all options.