Re: Frontend bug

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9551] Re: Frontend bug
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 01:40:14 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This is an odd problem, indeed!

Let me asks a few clarification questions:

In your first statemenet:

> I am having a problem with my front end for Mathematica 3.0. When I
> first open  up a notebook, and then open up another window from this
> notebook (ie. the help  browser or the style sheet editor), my notebook
> will freeze up.

What do you mean by "notebook will freeze up"?  Does this mean that
you can no longer interact with the original notebook window at all,
or is it a subset of the window (e.g. you can click on the menu but
not enter any text)? Does the mouse cursor change appearance when it
passes over this original window.  Can you interact with the new
window (e.g. click on the Help Browser's radio buttons or modify the
contents of the Style Sheet)?

> I can no longer  enter input into it. The only way I
> can continue is to open a new notebook, and  close up the frozen
> one.

Does this mean click on the File -> New menu on the new window or do you
have to start another front end process with the  "mathematica" shell
command?

Also, what brand of X server (e.g. XFree86, Accelerated X, MetroX) are
you using?  If you don't know, click on the Help menu on the front end
and hit X Environment Information.  What window manager are you using
(e.g. twm, mwm, fvwm, afterstep, CDE, etc.)?

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram