Re: mathematica and mining

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9629] Re: mathematica and mining
  • From: DENIS LEBOEUF <DLEBOEUF at CTN.ETSMTL.CA>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 21:40:07 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

s2700114 at nickel.laurentian.ca a =E9crit:

> I am wondering if anybody out there is using mathematica to solve
> problems in the mining industry, be it from scheduling to complex
> engineering. I am a  3rd mining engineering student who would like some
> ideas on how to put mathematica to better use, other then numerical
> methods and as a big symbolic calculator. Actually any real life
> examples from other engineering disciplines or scientific endeavours
> would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
> Troy

Troy,

I'm not aware of any specific Mathematica package or notebooks for
mining engineering. Pr. Dasgupta (civil
engineering,Columbia,http://www.civil.columbia.edu/) is using it for
complex finite element analysis.You will find a few  real life examples
a= nd
other finite element package in mathsource at the Wolfram Web site.
Personally, I've used it quite extensively  in several consulting
project= s
in geotechnical engineering (foundation analysis, slope stability and
soi= l
liquefaction during earthquakes). I now do most of my engineering
calculations using Mathematica. Mathematica would be an almost  ideal
tool for solving most typical rock mechanics problems (stress analysis
around tunnel, rock slope stability, etc.) that you will find in
standard textbooks such as Hoek's rock slope engineering or undeground
engineering=
 .
Hoek's analytical method for underground anchor design (look in his
underground rock engineering textbook) would be an interesting and
feasib= le
mining application for Mathematica. Don't forget that the learning curve
for Mathematica is quite steep but, in my opinion, well worth it.

Regards

Denis LeBoeuf
Construction engineering department
Ecole de technologie superieure, Montreal dleboeuf at ctn.etsmtl.ca