Re: Book recommendation for

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9628] Re: Book recommendation for
  • From: gaylord at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (richard j. gaylord)
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 21:40:07 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <64fh6e$c6s$5 at dragonfly.wolfram.com>, "Sherman.Reed"
<sherman.reed at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> 3. Mathematica is not for the faint hearted, it a serious and
> complicated computer based algebra tool for engineers and scientists
> who want  to push the frontier, and are willing to pay the price for
> success.

you shouldn't generalize like that; it unnecessarily scares off people.

it may have been hard for you to master, but for alot of other people
it's easy to learn to use [my students learn to write good programs in
mathematica in a month's time once they are forbidden to use procedural
style].

my experience is that if you don't take the right approach, it can
indeed be difficult - but then its kind of difficult to reach
california by driving east from the midwest too  :)

-richard-

richard j. gaylord, university of illinois, gaylord at uiuc.edu

"What I cannot create, I do not understand"
           -Richard P. Feynman-