Re: Headers/Footers dialog box for 3.0.1 on the Mac -- does it work

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9358] Re: [mg9315] Headers/Footers dialog box for 3.0.1 on the Mac -- does it work
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 03:33:46 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

AES wrote:

> The File -> Printing Setting -> Headers and Footers dialog box in
> Mathematica 3.0.1 on the Mac has a  text box labelled "Left aligned:"
> which contains a default string:
>
>    Cell[ TextData[ {CounterBox[ "Page"]}], "PageNumber"]
>
> while the box labelled "Right aligned" contains:
>
>    Cell[ TextData[ {ValueBox[ "FileName"]}], "Header"]
>
> Yet:
>
> 1)  The page number actually prints on the left end of the header, while
> the file name prints on the right.
>
> 2)  Copying and pasting these strings so their positions are reversed
> doesn't change this.
>
> 3)  There's also a "Center aligned:" box; copying either string into it
> prints nothing at all (in the center, that is).
>
> I've tried doing these things on both the notebook itself and the
> (shared) style sheet; nothing seems to change the header format.  This
> is a PowerMac 8600, Mac OS 8, Mathematica 3.0.1 and what I  _really_
> want is just to print the current date centered, or somewhere!, in the
> header.

I have just been playing with the same thing myself and I had the exact
same trouble that you describe.  I think I solved the mystery:

When the headers and footers dialog box comes up, the radio button for
"left page header" is checked by default.  There is a check box above
this which says "left and right pages".  Since the default seems to be
left pages, one might assume that if the check box is unchecked then it
will be the left page headers and footers that will print.  Such is not
the case.  It is the RIGHT page headers and footers that print by
default.

I just printed out my first notebook with headers and footers that I
liked with the following:

right page header left aligned:

Cell[ TextData[ {ValueBox[ "FileName"]}], "Header"]

right page header right aligned:

Cell[ TextData[ {ValueBox[ "DateLong"]}], "Header"]

right page footer center aligned:

Cell[ TextData[ {CounterBox[ "Page"]}], "PageNumber"]

Other objects that can be inserted into a header or footer can be looked
up under the Input:Create Value Display Object menu.  The Global
Options submenu seems to have things most applicable to Headers and
Footers.

P.S.  Greetings from CREOL.