Mathematica 3.01 is slower than Mathematica 3.0 on PowerMacs!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9633] Mathematica 3.01 is slower than Mathematica 3.0 on PowerMacs!
  • From: charles.bouldin at nist.gov (Charles Bouldin)
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 19:49:42 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I reported this before, even sent a bug report in to WRI, and more or
less got a big series of yawns. Here is the scoop: There is a rather
extensive Mathematica benchmark series, created by Karl Unterkolfer,
with up to date results kept at:
http://fampm201.tu-graz.ac.at/karl/timings30.html. If you look at
reference 89 on that page, you will see a report that Mathematica 3.01
is 15% slower than Mathematica 3.0. This is exactly the same result
that I reported to WRI within days of the release of 3.01.

I remain very displeased about this result. I have heard nothing from
WRI except a grudging acknowledgement "You're right" and some vague
noises to "wait for the  next release". When???

Does anyone else see 3.01 to be slower than 3.0 on PowerMacs? Or, is
there something very anomalous about Karl's test codes? I don't think
so. I would be interested in reports from Mathematica users and I would
like to hear further about this from WRI. My earlier report is now
verified on a public web site and I would like to see WRI stop ignoring
this issue and provide an explanation.

--
Charles Bouldin