Re: Book recommendation for Mathematica (fwd)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9675] [mg9632] Re: Book recommendation for Mathematica (fwd)
  • From: Joel Cannon <cannon at alpha.centenary.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 01:31:12 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Two books that I have found useful are:

1.  Power Programming in Mathematica, by David Wagner

2. Computer Simulations in Mathematica, by Gaylord and Wellin

Probably the most useful tool I have found has been this
listserv/newsgroup althought the volume has increased to the point
where I can't read a major part of it.

I may have messed up the title to 1 since I have loaned the book to a
student who is working with me but it is close.

The first couple of chapters of 1. should be very good for a person
relatively new to mathematica, or an older user who is just using
mathematica in rudimentary ways.

The second is just fun, and contains bunches of examples of elegant ways
to use mathematica, and quite a bit of what might be called the basics.
Several nice short appendices lay out the basics.

Joel W. Cannon                       Celebrate Buy Nothing Day !!!!!!!
Dept. of Physics                     A 24 hour moratorium on Consumer
Spending Centenary College of Louisiana       November 28, 1997 P. O.
Box 41188
Shreveport, LA 71134-1188            Participate by not participating!

(318)869-5160                        www.adbusters.org/adbusters/Pop/
(318)869-5026  FAX		     buynothingday.html