Re: How to remove an option?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9722] Re: [mg9646] How to remove an option?
  • From: Allan Hayes <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 00:06:17 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Patrice Trton" <Patrice.Treton at isdnet.net>
[mg9646] How to remove an option?
writes
> How can I remove an option; that is how can I remove it from the
> notebook ?
> I found nothing like DeleteOption or RemoveOption. If there is no
> such function, how can I set an option to the default value?

Patrice,

1) Deleting an option is not advisable: here is an experiment

Unprotect[Plot];

Options[Plot] = DeleteCases[Options[Plot], Frame->_];

Plot[Sin[x],{x,0,2Pi}]

Plot::"opset": "Option \!\(Frame\) is not set in \!\(Options[Plot]\)."

Plot[Sin[x],{x,0,2 \[Pi]}]

Restore the defaults

Options[Plot] = Sort[Append[Options[Plot], Frame -> False]] and we

Protect[Plot]

2) What we can do is

SetOptions[Plot, Frame ->True]

(this will make all subsequent displays from Plot have a frame)

To go back to the default setting we have to use

SetOptions[Plot, Frame ->False]

There is a problem if we can't remember the default setting. To guard
against this we can record the default. Failing this we can quit the
kernel and restart (but this will lose   all the definitions made in
the session)

Allan Hayes
hay at haystack.demon.co.uk
http://www.haystack.demon.co.uk/training.html voice:+44 (0)116 2714198