Re: News Release: Mathematica® Will Remain Macintosh-Compatible

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9757] Re: News Release: Mathematica® Will Remain Macintosh-Compatible
  • From: charles.bouldin at nist.gov (Charles Bouldin)
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 00:07:02 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <653ceg$6q7 at smc.vnet.net>, Lars Hohmuth <larsh at wolfram.com>
wrote:

> Mathematica=AE Will Remain Macintosh-Compatible

Thank you. Although I don't do it anymore, I was one of the early beta
testers for Mathematica. I got to do that because a friend and I showed up
early for the demo by Steven Wolfram at the 1988 American Physical Society
meeting. He was there demoing it on a Mac IIci. THE question asked by many
people in the audience was "When will it be out for the PC?". His answer
was simple and illuminating, "Never."

Now that answer was predicated on the (then) 640K limit in DOS. Times
have changed, but I am pleased to see WRI remaining loyal to the
platform that really got them going.

--
Charles Bouldin