Re: Problem trying to link to a remote kernel. *sigh*

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9875] Re: Problem trying to link to a remote kernel. *sigh*
  • From: "Hunter Ware" <haw4t at virginia.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 00:11:03 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To answer my own question (for those interested), a helpful person
replied that the kernel connection uses host names in string form,
rather than numeric IP addr.  This means that those of us with dynamic
connections (i.e. dialups) are kinda outa luck.  This is because our
name changes with each dialup, and never matches whatever name we
arbitrarily give ourselves.  The only fix is to customize the logon
each time with a hardcoded IP addr instead of our hostname.  This is a
distinct oversight on Wolfram's part for all uses who wish to use their
powerful machines while on the road. *sigh* Anyhow thank you all for
the aid.

                            cheers,
                                Hunter

 \||//          Hunter Ware <ware at bainet.com>
  oO       Research Associate - Barron Associates Inc. ()^()     1160
Pepsi Place, Charlottesville, Va, 22901
  U       Phone (804) 973-1215      FAX (804) 973-4686