Re: EulerPhi[1]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9878] Re: [mg9858] EulerPhi[1]
  • From: David Withoff <withoff>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 00:39:28 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> Here's a problem I've recently discovered with Mathematica 3.0.
>
> In Mathematica 2.0:
>
>   Mathematica 2.0 for NeXT
>   Copyright 1988-91 Wolfram Research, Inc.
>    -- NeXT graphics initialized --
>
>   In[1]:= EulerPhi[1]
>
>   Out[1]= 1
>
> In Mathematica 3.0:
>
>   Mathematica 3.0 for Solaris
>   Copyright 1988-96 Wolfram Research, Inc.
>    -- Terminal graphics initialized --
>
>   In[1]:= EulerPhi[1]
>
>   Out[1]= 0
>

> My number theory text (Ireland and Rosen) defines it to EulerPhi[1] to
> be 1. This is consistent with the idea that EulerPhi[n] should be the
> number of primitive nth roots of unity.
>

> Cheers,
> -- knarF

http://www.wolfram.com/support/Kernel/Symbols/System/EulerPhi.html

There is an error in the EulerPhi function in Mathematica Version 3.0
that causes EulerPhi[1] to return 0, rather than 1. You can correct
this error by adding a rule

Unprotect[EulerPhi]
EulerPhi[1] = 1
Protect[EulerPhi]

to the EulerPhi function. This error has been corrected for the next
release of Mathematica.