Re: Solution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9887] Re: [mg9785] Solution
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 00:39:36 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Awwad A. Al-Harthi wrote:

> Does anyone know how to solve for R from the equation
>
> R = ( G * e^ln(R + G/G)) - G
>
> Regards
> Awwad

Do you want symbolic or numeric results?

Your equation may be an example of a transcendental function-one on
which algebra does not work.  There is a built-in mathematica function
called ProductLog which solves for w, in z=w Exp[w].  At first glance,
it seems like your equation could be manipulated into that form.  I do
wonder if there isn't some mistake in your equation.  Do you really
mean to have G/G rather than 1?  or e^ln of something rather than the
something?  Is e a constant or is it the base e=2.7128...?

If you want numerical results, then I recommend fixed point iteration
followed by Newtons method or Secant method.  The first method is not
implemented directly in mathematica, but the second and third methods
are embodied in the function FindRoot.

As a last thought, your problem may be nothing more than incorrect
syntax.  instead of e^x use Exp[x] or E^x. Instead of ln(x), use
Log[x].

  Please refine and re-post your question if this answer didn't help. --

Remove the _nospam_ in the return address to respond.