Re: Packages again

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8589] Re: [mg8549] Packages again
  • From: David Withoff <withoff>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 22:13:08 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> Thanks for the replies on my question about Packages. That seems to be
> cleared up but now I've got another.
>
> I have recently written several Packages some of which depend on  the
> others. In other words, Packages x, y, and z, are read in upon loading
> Package w.  I do this in the BeginPackage statement.
>
> For each of these, there are usage statements.  Consequently, when I
> load Package w, I can find out what any particular symbols mean in
> Packages x, y, and z.  However, when I ask ?*Packagew`* I would like to
> have it show the symbols that are defined in the other Packages.
>
> I know I can achieve this be asking the same question but using the
> other Package names, but that isn't what I want for the prospective
> user.
>
> Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.
>
> Tim Coutts
> tim_coutts at nrel.nrel.gov

If you want to create the symbols from the loaded packages in the
same context as the symbols from the calling package, you can
probably (depending on how the calling package is set up) do
that by changing the loaded packages so that exported symbols
will be created in whatever the default context happens to be
when the package is loaded.  There are myriad ways to do that,
just as there are myriad ways to set up any collection of
packages.  You might, for example, just move the symbols from
the loaded package out from between the BeginPackage and
EndPackage statements.

Dave Withoff
Wolfram Research