Re: graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8774] Re: [mg8740] graphics
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 12:26:09 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Neil wrote:

> Hi all.
> Why do math not draw my graphs, i'm a newbie (using aix  and mathematica
> 3.2 .  [machine don't load mathematica also when i type it , but only
> math.What is wrong please anyone

I am a little confused.  There is no such thing as Mathematica 3.2.
There is Mathematica 2.2.x and Mathematica 3.0.x.

The fact that you are typing in a command to start mathematica suggests
you are not using a notebook interface.  The command "math" does not
load a notebook interface anyway, but only the kernel.  In that case,
mathematica will not display any graphs on your screen except certain
2-D graphs and then only with screen font characters-no true graphics.
To view the results of a graph, you will need to do something like the
following:

mygraph=Plot[myfunction[x],{x,2,3}];
Display["mygraph.bmp",mygraph,"PBM"];

This will write a bitmap file to your hard drive in the default
directory.  You will then need to use some kind of program that can view
graphics like most word processors(Word, Wordperfect) or a paint program
like CorelDraw, PaintShop Pro etc.  The available graphics options
depend on which version of Mathematica you are using.  You are severely
limited with Mma 2.2.