Re: remote kernel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8770] Re: remote kernel
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 12:26:05 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

jmt wrote:

> What are the tools to run a remote kernel between two PC (Windows95 and
> Windows NT) via internet?
> The kernel configuration panel refers to a command wrsh, is it win remote
> shell and were can I get this program?

What version of Mathematica are you using?  Mathematica 3.0 comes with
a copy of winrsh.  Version 2.2 did not come with any such utility,
but there is a Technical Support FAQ page that tells you where you
can get them.

http://www.wolfram.com/support/2.2/Systems/Windows/RSH.html

IMPORTANT NOTE: The use of rsh requires that the remote host have
some sort of "daemon" for handling rsh requests.  While Unix has
this feature built in, lowly Microsoft OS's do not.  I seem to
remember reading that Windows NT's resource kit (version of NT
not known) contains an rsh service that you can install.  I did
a quick lookup at MS's website, but the stuff that comes up
on the search is labeled "premium content" which means you
have to be a part of their little "Microsoft Developer Network"
club to access it.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com