Limit bug in Calculus\Limit ???

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8488] Limit bug in Calculus\Limit ???
  • From: lars at gsblas.uchicago.edu (Lars A. Stole)
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 16:15:30 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am using Mma 3.0 on a NextStep 3.3 PentiumPro Intel machine;  I
have also successfully reproduced the problem on a Sparc running Mma
3.0.

The following command

	Limit[E^(2/y),y->0]

returns the correct answer "infinity" when the Calculus`Limit`
package IS NOT loaded.  When the Limit package IS_loaded (which I had
thought meant even more functionality), I incorrectly obtain "0" as
the answer.

Why is the Limit.m generating an incorrect answer?  Is this a known
bug?  And if so, is there a list of known bugs that a user can
access?

Thanks.