conics and graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8562] conics and graphics
  • From: Tom <toad at planet.eon.net>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 23:16:25 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have been importing pictures into Mathematica from a drawing program.
These have been PICT images (a mac picture format)  I have sent these
files to students who have mathreader and they don't show up.  I guess
since they are Mac image files they can't be read on other platforms.
So I changed the picture to BITMAP form and it worked fine.  The trouble
is, for some pictures, those with rotated text or other things like
that, the bitmap image is "ok" quality on screen but very poor when
printed out.  I tried converting the images to postscript format but
then the file becomes very large (for very simple graphics) or it
crashed my Mac (often)

What kind of image is the "best" to use to insure platform compatability
between Mac and PC, and to insure the best quality.  I KNOW images
created by Mathematica are compatible across platforms, but there are
just some pictures that would be tough to create in Mathematica.

Second question, in the recent Mac Home magazine, Wolfram had an
advertisement with a wonderful 3d graphic of a double napped cone being
intersected by a plane to produce a conic (in this case a parabola)
Some of the "code" to create the diagram was there, but not enough to
reporoduce it.  The plane was doable but not the cone.  Did any one else
see this and could you help me to create diagrams like this.  They would
be wonderful additions to my conics lessons!

Thanks for your time,

Tom De Vries
--
Vermilion Home Education Program