definite integral bug (3.0)

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12010] definite integral bug (3.0)
  • From: Richard Easther <easther@het.brown.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 03:40:45 -0400

Hi - I recently tried to persuade Mathematica to do the following
definite integral,

   Integrate[ Exp[-x^2] 1/(1 + Exp[  x]),{x,0,Infinity}]

and it gives the answer

                         Log[x]                 1 + Log[x]
        PolyGamma[0, 1 + ------] - PolyGamma[0, ----------]
                           2                        2
                                 2

which depends on x, so presumably something is wrong here!

I am assuming this is a bug - has anyone else seen it? Does it show up
in later versions of the kernel than 3.0?

Richard