Problems connecting to remote kernel

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12070] Problems connecting to remote kernel
  • From: "Hans D. Jensen" <hans.d.jensen@post2.tele.dkX>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 01:30:08 -0400

Hi,
I am running a 3.0.1 kernel on a IBM Risc and I try to connect to it
from a 3.0.1.1x Windows 95 front-end. The remote kernel setup won't
work, so I tried just to make a MathLink connection. If I create a link
in a math session on the Risc, and connect to it in another math
session on the Risc, no problems.

However, if I try and connect from the Windows 95 session, it just won't
work.

I did notice one thing:
When I create the link on the Risc, i get a LinkObject like:

    In[1]:= link=LinkCreate[]
    Out[1]= LinkObject[2583@<hostname>, 1, 1]

When I try to connect to this link from the Win95 session I get

    In[1]:= link=LinkConnect["2583@<hostname>"]
    Out[1]= LinkObject[2583@<hostname>,8,4]

"<hostname>" is of course the real hostname. I notice the digits at the
end of the LinkObject returned from the LinkConnect, which differs from
those from the LinkCreate (for the very first session I may get 2,2
instead. This is the only clue I have to what goes wrong.

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

D. Jensen                     "I'm a doctor, not a doorstop!" Rugager 8
-Star Trek: First Contact Dk-2690 Karlslunde  -  e-mail:
hans-d.jensen@post2.tele.dk (anti-spam measure: remove the X in the