PostScript

>     Hi mathgroup:
>
>     I'm saving a graph to a postscript file. When I go to view the this
>     file using ghostscript, acrobat distiller or pageview (postscript
>     interpretors) I get 'undefined command MathStartPicture'. Can anyone
>     assist?
>
>     Thanks,
>     Jas
>     PS. I'm using mathematica v2.2.3

You don't say what you mean by "saving a graph to a postscript file."
However, this may help.

I use Mathematica version 2.2.2 on a Power Mac. I have a PostScript
laser printer hooked up to my computer. If I want to save a Mathematica
graphic to PostScript, I can use two methods:

1. Select the graphic, copy to clipboard, use "Convert Clipboard" in
Edit menu, choose "EPS" as the file type, and choose "Save in file."
The resulting Encapsulated PostScript file may be placed in a PageMaker
document with all its PostScript resolution-independent attributes
intact.

2. Select the graphic, and choose "Print Selection" from the File menu.
Then, in the Print dialog for my laser printer (an HP 4MP), choose
"Print to File." The graphic is then written to a pure PostScript file
(not Mathematica "special" PostScript). However, printing settings must
be configured correctly in the Printing Options section of the
Mathematica File menu: if you don't want a header, you must de-select
that option, also, margins etc. have to be set up as you want them.

I have found that GhostScript can open both types of files, created by
methods (1) and (2). However, just yesterday it was my experience that
I could not (on a non-PostScript inkjet printer) print the EPS file of
method (1), but I could print the .ps file of method (2).

Russell Towle
Giant Gap Press:  books on California history, digital topographic maps
P.O. Box 141
Dutch Flat, California 95714
Voice:  (916) 389-2872
e-mail:  rustybel@foothill.net