Re: key entry problems

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12147] Re: key entry problems
  • From: paulh@monon.wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 01:46:30 -0400

In article <6hpd9k$d9p@smc.vnet.net>, warJack@mars.superlink.net
(warJack.) writes: |>
|> why is it when I enter certain keys I get a different character then
|> what the actual key stands for.
|>
|> for example:
|>
|>   [ = @
|>   ] = D
|>   { = 8
|>   } = <
|>   ( = H
|>   ) = L
|>

|> whats up with that!!!

In cells that use StandardForm, the bracketing characters that you list
above are drawn from the Math2 font family that comes  with
Mathematica.  If this font is not installed properly on your system,
then it's more than likely that the application will  substitute
characters from a default font using the same character codes.  The
character codes just happen to line up like so.

	Math2		CharacterCode	ASCII & ISO8859-1
	  [	             64			@
	  ]		     68			D
	  {		     56                 8
          }                  60                 <
          (                  72	                H
          )                  76                 L

The cause for this problem will vary according to platform.  A list of
FAQ answers may be of use to you in this situation.  Refer to URL:

     http://www.wolfram.com/support/FrontEnds/System/Fonts/

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh@wolfram.com Wolfram Research,