Re: PDEs in Mathematica 3.0

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12155] Re: PDEs in Mathematica 3.0
  • From: smeans@unm.edu (shawn a. means)
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 01:46:39 -0400

In article <6hpf5v$den@smc.vnet.net>, "Tomas Muzik" <muzik@FENIX.ZCU.CZ> wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> Please excuse my poor english, it isn't my preferred language. I have a
> problem with solving a system of PDEs, that are depending  on two
> variables, x (position) and t (time). So it looks like this: D[vec.
> unkn.,x]=[matrix A].D[vec. unkn.,t]+[matrix B].[vec. unkn.] and of
> course initial conditions.
> Is there any way, how to solve this system by using Mathematica, or
> have I to load some package (which?). If this question should be better
> asked at the mailing list, I would  like to ask you for subscription or
> for a link to a better place,  where my problem could be solved too.
> Thank you

Check out the Mathematica Book entries on NDSolve.  There is a format
for entry of systems of PDE's.  You may be able to use NDSolve[eqns, y,
{x, xmin, xmax}, {t tmin, tmax}] with the term 'eqns' a matrix equation
and 'y' a vector.  Let me know if this helps...I'm attempting to use
Mathematica on a 2D diffusion equation, but I don't think NDSolve can
handle more than one spatial variable.

Enjoy!

shawn
smeans@unm.edu