Re: Re: Cell bracket <-> Inline

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg10809] Re: [mg10649] Re: Cell bracket <-> Inline
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz@wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 00:58:54 -0500

A few comments about the general issue of adding key events...

First, there is another KeyEventTranslations.tr file in the Windows
subdirectory (i.e. SystemFiles\FrontEnd\TextResources\Windows). Under
Windows, this takes complete precedence over the copy in
SystemFiles\FrontEnd\TextResources.

Also, any keyboard shortcuts listed in the Windows MenuSetup.tr file (in
SystemFiles\FrontEnd\TextResources\Windows) take complete precedence
over ones in the KeyEventTranslations.tr file under Windows (I think
this is probably true for other platforms, as well, but I'm not for
certain).  This comes into play for the specific modifier you're trying
to add... KeyEvent[Down, Modifiers->{Command}] is already being used by
MenuSetup.tr for "Nudge down".  So, any attempt to use this particular
key event in KeyEventTranslations.tr will fail.

Finally, concerning your comment about Mathematica not being fully
compatible with Win95 keyboards...Mathematica 3.0 is, in fact, fully
compatible with Win95 keyboards.  There are a few keys that aren't
supported like the special Microsoft keys (support will be added in the
next major release), but by and large things should work.

The trickiest part by far about adding key combinations to
KeyEventTranslations.tr is making sure they don't exist in MenuSetup.tr
(or even elsewhere in the KeyEventTranslations). Once you've done that,
things should just work.

John Fultz
jfultz@wolfram.com
Front End Group