Fonts in graphics

I have some problem producing graphics with fonts that are recognisable
by  other systems and other applications.

The graphics don't seem to want to use windows system fonts.
Mathematica certainly  recognises the system fonts and uses them to
format text in cells, but if for  instance I specify a default font of
Times New Roman: $DefaultFont={"Times New Roman",14}
I get a postscipt error when rendering.

Is any way I can render standard fonts in Mathematica graphics?

thanks
Ian Humphrey <I.Humphrey@sct.gu.edu.au>