Re: Int.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13165] Re: [mg13066] Int.
  • From: Sean Ross <seanross at worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 07:42:15 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

phpcp at csv.warwick.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a function (Module) for integration using runge-kutta-fehlberg
> algorithm. It seems to run very (very, very) slow. How can I make it
> faster. What operations take the longest in Mathematica?
>
> thanks,
> Sanjay.

Mathematica is at its slowest when you use procedural programming:  For,
Do, While, Table etc.  It is at its fastest when you use functional
proogramming: Map, Thread, Through, Apply, Inner etc.  If you can
rewrite your algorithm to use these kinds of functions you will
probably speed up by a factor of 10 or so.  After that you can also use
the compile function.