In which interval?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13303] In which interval?
  • From: "Pal Lillevold" <pal.lillevold at pensfins.no>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 03:19:02 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I need to resolve the following problem:

Given N distinct real Intervals (x(i),x(i+1)); i=1,,,,N and a real
number R - in which interval is R located. In other words to identify
the unique value of i such that x(i)<=R<x(i+1). This is easy to do by
straight forward checking which value of the N i's which match the
inequalities. But this is very time-consuming when the number N is
large. Has anyone been confronted with this problem and resolved it
efficiently? I would highly appreciate any assistance.

Thank you in advance and best regards.

Pal Lillevold