Re: installing new packages in mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13475] Re: installing new packages in mathematica
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 02:33:35 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 24 Jul 1998, Jordan Milev wrote:

> Hello!  I have an econometrics package written for Mathematica, which
> I'd like to install on my system.  I'd like to be able to call it with
> << just as I do other add-on packages.  What is the best way to install
> seamlessly such a package? Do I need to change any settings in
> Mathematica initialization files so that Mathematica knows where to
> look for it?  Thanks in advance for the help!

After having read some of your prior postings, I am assuming that you
want to install this package on Mathematica 3.0 for Windows.

Generic information on installing new packages can be found in the
online documentation for Mathematica 3.0.  Evaluate the following
expression in a notebook to retrieve the appropriate material.

FrontEndExecute[FrontEnd`HelpBrowserLookup["AddOns",
  "Setting Up New Add-ons"]]

You should also review any documentation that comes with the package to
see if the author requires any additional configuration steps.  Keep in
mind that if the package was written before version 3.0 was released,
the installation locations may be very different, and in most cases may
be obsolete.

If you are using a package that was created for Windows prior to the
release of Mathematica 3.0, the package files may contain abbreviated,
DOS 8+3 compliant filenames, rather than the names that are reflective
of the package names.  If this is the case, you may need to rename the
.m files and possibly some directories to the full names so that the
Mathematica 3.0 kernel can find them.

If the author of the package provides some degree of support for the
package, you may want to ask the author whether there is an updated
version for Mathematica 3.0 at least some instructions for renaming the
files.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram