Re: Packages Search Path: how to set it?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13493] Re: Packages Search Path: how to set it?
  • From: paulh (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:33:13 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <6peavu$i50 at smc.vnet.net>, "Ionel Simionescu"
<ionel at psy.uva.nl> writes:

|> Is there a clean, standard way to set up the packages search path
such |> as  Get["context`"]
|> will (also) look in custom directories? |>
|> I would like to avoid tweaking directly the  sysinit.m |> if
possible.

The safest place is probably the kernel's init.m file.  It's not clear
from your posting what version of Mathematica you are using.  Under
version 2.2, adding packages to your system required some hand editing
of init.m, but version 3.0 introduced several possibilities for
installing shared and private copies of packages so that you didn't
have to alter $Path.

If you could provide more specific version information, we might be able
to suggest some courses of action for you.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram Research,