RE: Re: Absolute coo

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12752] RE: [mg12743] Re: [mg12715] Absolute coo
  • From: Ersek_Ted%PAX1A at mr.nawcad.navy.mil
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 03:04:14 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Sean Ross wrote:

|Mathematica is a programming language, not a program. |

I like to think of Mathematica as a program, that has a built-in
programming  language.

How many  *programming languages*  let you simply do: In[1]:= Plot3D[
Sin[x y], {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}] and get a 3D graphic?  We don't even
have to define x, y as real numbers.

A system that lets me do an algebra problem like: In[2]:=Factor[x^6-1]
in one line doesn't seem like a programming language.

Well given that you see Mathematica as a programming language, I can see
why  you are always complaining that we can't define a variable as a
real, or an  integer, or positive, etc.  I agree it will be wonderful
when we can make  such statements, and this information will be used to
simplify results  throughout the system.  However, I hope the
Mathematica user will never be  REQUIRED to specify the variable type
before using the variables.

Well maybe it is a lot easier to put labels on a graphic using (gnuplot
or  Axum).  I don't know, I never used them.  However, I bet the
graphics is no  where near as flexible as Mathematica graphics.  I bet
the numerical  capabilities are pale compared to Mathematica numerics.
I bet there are  many areas where Mathematica is easier to use than
these other applications.

Ted Ersek