arrrgh - algebraic manipulation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12808] arrrgh - algebraic manipulation
  • From: rapierbit at mindspring.com (stefan jeglinski)
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:05:39 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have some serious algebraic solving going which results in a form that
goes something like this (not in kosher Mathematica form so it's easier
to read):

 [ b*exp(t) + c*cos(u) + d*cos(u) + e*sin(u) + d*sin(u) ]

For presentation purposes in a notebook, and to easier see what
relationships exists between terms and which can be neglected, I want
to manipulate this into the form:

                           a*exp(-t)
         (c+d)                   (e+f)  b*[ 1 +  ----- *cos(u)*exp(-t) +
----- *sin(u)*exp(-t) ]
           b                       b

I am pulling my hair out trying to force Mathematica to do this with all
the tools available to me (Factor, Expand, Cancel, Together, etc - I'm
sure it's a multicommand process). What's worse, a and b and c and d
and e and f are all *polynomials whose form I must preserve*; that is,
I don't want them broken up as part of the rearranging process.

This is beyond my feeble abilities. Is it also beyond Mathematica's???

Stefan 'hairless' Jeglinski