Stiff ODE's and Gear's Method in NDSolve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12910] Stiff ODE's and Gear's Method in NDSolve
  • From: "Todd Tilma" <ttilma at mail.utexas.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 03:44:32 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello:

    I'm a physics graduate student at The University of Texas at Austin
working on numerical simulations of the Belousov-Zhabotinski chemical
reaction.  I've been working with 4 simulatenous, stiff, non-linear
ODE's and using Mathematica 3.0.1 NDSolve with Method -> Gear selected
to get interpolativefunctions to plot.  I've looked in the Mathematica
guide published by Wolfram concerning the Gear method used, but to no
avail.  I'm curious if anyone knows which Gear method is used by
NDSolve.  I need to find a way to use a variable-order method if
possible.

Todd Tilma
************************************ Mail To: ttilma at mail.utexas.edu