Re: error messages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12930] Re: [mg12866] error messages
  • From: Sean Ross <seanross at worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 03:44:48 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dustin wrote:

> (Mathematica 3.00, win95)
>
> Since error messages in Mathematica are recursive, it isn't too uncommon
> to get infinite recursion.  What this means is that the error message
> has infinite length.  If not stopped quickly, it will continue printing
> itself faster and faster until it takes up nearly all of my computer's
> processing power.
>    I can normally stop it in under a minute with rapid pressing of the
> "abort evaluation" key.  Today, however, I came across one which would
> not respond to the usual treatment so I pressed "control-alt-delete" to
> shut down Mathematica.
>
>   Mathematica refused to respond so I had to shut down the computer and
> restart it.  Anyone know a way to prevent this?
>
> Dustin
> dsoodak at virtu.sar.usf.edu

If you find out how to stop this, let me know.  Most of the programs I
write can't be stopped by the ctrl . command.  Usually, though, I just
kill mathematica from the ctrl-alt-delete screen.  I rarely have to
reboot the machine, but it does happen occasionally.  I wish the 256
limit on recursion applied to error messages.